PARENTS ATTENTION: Baby Dies After Drinking Breast Milk Mixed With This Liquid! - Daily Buzz PH


Post Top Ad

Monday, March 13, 2017

PARENTS ATTENTION: Baby Dies After Drinking Breast Milk Mixed With This Liquid!

A condition known as Hyponatremia or “water intoxication” occurs when too much water is consumed, upsetting the fine balance of salts in the body. While an older child or adult would have to consume extreme amounts for this to occur, babies are especially vulnerable due to the size of their body.
Just recently, a baby girl died in the US, after her parents’ bottle fed her breastmilk that had been diluted with water.
Earlier this month, Herbert George Landell, 26, and Lauren Heather Fristed, 25, were arrested after bringing their 10-week-old baby girl to the emergency room, already dead due to water intoxication.
Nevaeh Marie Landell was being fed diluted breast milk as a form of "formula stretching" — an attempt to make breast milk or formula last for more feedings — which can result in a baby's brain developing wrong or, as in this case, death.
Since Nevaeh was born, Landell and Fristed refused to get their daughter medical treatment, police said.
Landell was charged with felony murder and aggravated battery by depriving; Fristed was charged with aggravated battery by depriving, first degree cruelty to children, and second degree cruelty to children. Neither are eligible for bond and remained Thursday in Gwinnett County Jail here.
Watering down the breast milk caused Nevaeh's electrolyte and sodium levels to drop and made her brain swell, according to the warrants. But the detectives' investigation since Nevaeh's death also revealed unsanitary conditions at the couple's apartment.
Babies should not drink water until they are at least 6 months old, said Dr. Sujatha Reddy, a physician at Premier Care for Women in Atlanta and WXIA-TV medical correspondent. Between 6 and 12 months, babies can drink small amounts of water, but no more than 1 to 3 ounces at a time.
However, because water has no nutritional value, babies should drink breast milk or formula first, she said. Signs of water toxicity include grogginess, confusion, drowsiness, twitching and seizures.
If your baby is partly or fully bottle fed, here are four important things you need to know:
#1: Expressed Breastmilk Should Not Be Mixed With Formula
When you pump or hand express your breastmilk, it can be used immediately or combined with other breastmilk you have collected and stored in the fridge or freezer. It is important not to mix your expressed breastmilk (EBM) with infant formula, water or anything else. Experts recommend first giving expressed breastmilk and then any formula, separately. This way, the valuable, nutritious breastmilk is not wasted if not all the feed is taken.
#2: Using Other Mother’s Breastmilk
Some Australian hospitals have milk banks, which are facilities that collect donated breast milk. They pasteurise it and make it available to their most vulnerable patients – premature or sick babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), whose mothers are unable to supply enough breastmilk to meet their baby’s needs. Informal milk sharing is a privately arranged gift of milk from one mother to another, organised most commonly through social media groups such as Eats On Feets or Human Milk For Human Babies.
#3: Always Use Only As Directed
For babies who are formula fed, it is very important to follow the instructions carefully when preparing feeds. Always use the scoop from that brand, as they may vary in sizes, and carefully count the scoops. If you lose count – stop and start again. Always boil the water freshly for each mix. The milk powder is not sterile and it's the heat of the water which makes it safe to drink. As per World Health Organisation guidelines for formula preparation, it should never be cooler than 70 degrees Celcius when you mix it. Cool to feeding temperature after you thoroughly mix the powder and water. Always use within 30 minutes of mixing. It is imperative that you boil the water first, then cool it to drinking temperature, in order to kill any bacteria. Not doing so puts your baby at risk of infection.
#4: Specialty Baby Water – Not So Special
You might be surprised to find water bottled just for babies on your supermarket shelves, ready to use, teat and all. While this might seem like to ultimate in convenience, these products are not appropriate as drinks for babies under six months and are not necessary as drinks for older babies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad